Monday, November 5, 2012

I'm speechless...

I'd love to say I'm speechless because my 10 year old son told us yesterday that he "felt different while he was singing at church, like God was really there".  He said that he knew God was always there. "But Mom and Dad, this felt different, do you know what I mean?, he explained.  From there, he shared that he asked Jesus to come into his heart and that he was "confused, but a good confused".  He truly was feeling the Spirit moving and didn't know what to do with that.  I remember that feeling.  It was new, exciting, scary (but a good scary), etc.

Of course, we feel so good knowing that Will is feeling the Holy Spirit and realizing what it means to be a Christian by accepting Christ, but that's not why I'm speechless...

I was in a Christian bookstore today buying myself a brand spanking new Bible!!!  (Mine needed to be put in a special place and didn't need to be used on a daily basis as the spine was wearing out/falling apart and it is VERY sentimental.)  

Back to the story:  There were two men arguing - loudly!!!  They were employees of the bookstore (the manager and an empoyee).  I don't want to be overly dramatic by saying it was a shouting match, but let's just say it got the entire store's attention!  The employee ended up quitting on the spot.  I was uncomfortable to say the least.

As I was waiting in line, I observed the manager as he waited on the customer in front of me.  He was clearly flustered.  The customer had purchased a few things off the "sale" table.  She was arguing with the manager over one particular item.  In my mind I'm thinking, please let me get out of this store and quick, but unfortunately the customer was preventing anyone from moving anywhere quickly.  I noticed what she was arguing about........The manager had given her 40% off the item in question, but she stated that the item was not 40% off, but 50% off.  The manager explained that he was so sorry, but the item was placed on the wrong table, it was really 40% off.  He stated that because the item was on the wrong table he would go ahead and give her the 50% off.  He asked her to show him where she got the item, so he could move the others if there were any.  She showed him, and promptly said, "I'm sorry".  WAS SHE????  She still let him give her the 50% off.  What's 10%?  It was an accident.  She wasn't going to say, "never mind I would not like to buy it at this time".  NO, she expected him to give her the extra 10% off!!!!!  I love how she said she was sorry......really???  Oh, I forgot the craziest part - THE ITEM'S ORIGINAL COST WAS $1.75 (that's ONE DOLLAR AND SEVENTY-FIVE CENTS!!!).  She was arguing over the $1.75 item being 50% off versus 40% off!!!

Ok, I'm sure many of you were thinking that maybe she was in extreme poverty or something.  Well, you might be right.  I thought about that.  It was hard to not be frustrated because the item in question was a KEYCHAIN....... But let's go a bit furthur, maybe she was in extreme poverty AND was planning to share the gospel with someone through this keychain????  The keychain was a little light that said, "Jesus is the light of my life".  Maybe it was the key (no pun intended) to changing someone's life, and I was merely being judgmental.

What are your thoughts???  I seriously thought - WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO when you are in a Christian bookstore (I know, I know they're human and sinners too) and there is a heated, loud, unprofessional argument between two men.  I guess it makes me feel upset because both of these men have waited on me a number of times.  They recognize me when I come into the store.  These men have asked me to sponsor a child through WorldVision.  These men have guided customors on what Bible to buy.  I've heard them share snip-its of why a particular book spoke to them....

Then when the customer in front of me was buying Christian items and causing such a scene....WOW!!!  I'm speechless.

No comments:

Post a Comment